#271: It is very close to Annapolis, which is a fun place to visit.
Every year magazines in the area put out lists of the “best day trips”, “best weekend getaways”, etc. Baltimore, MD; Ocean City, MD and Virginia Beach, VA, always win. All of those are definitely great options, but can get expensive really fast. I am not a fan of paying a gazillion dollars for a hotel by the beach only to get rained out, so I tried somewhere new. I visited Annapolis, MD.
Annapolis is the capital of Maryland. It has a population of around 38,000 people (which is about the same number of people expected to run the Army Ten Miler in October this year).
Annapolis has historic things and also water, so it was a great place to visit for a weekend.
Some things I learned in Annapolis:
- It was in Annapolis that George Washington resigned his military commission before accepting the presidency of the United States.
- Annapolis briefly served as the capital of the United States.
- Thurgood Marshall won his first big civil rights case in Annapolis
- There is a memorial to Alex Haley, the man who wrote Roots.
Some cool things that I got to do in Annapolis:
- Walk around a lot
- Drink some delicious alcoholic lemonade drink at Pusserts Tavern
- Walk by the water
- Have brunch at a very delicious place
- Get soaked in the rain