#294: Fancy receptions.
One a week is probably the perfect amount. More than that is too much. Two weeks ago I had two fancy receptions but ended up having to miss one. Attended only one = perfect amount. This week I had two, had no real excuse to miss either one. I had to go to two. Too much.
These are the things that I like about fancy receptions:
- Seeing friends
- Running into fancy people
- Supporting something I believe in
- Open bar
- Wearing something a little extra nice
- Going somewhere I haven’t been before
- Delicious things I can eat
- After parties
These are the things that I do not like about fancy receptions:
- Thinking your friends are going to show up and then they don’t
- Seeing the same fancy people over and over and over again
- Supporting things that I am not sure are really making a difference
- Cash bars
- Having to wear something nice to somewhere sucky just so I don’t have to change between work and the reception
- Going to the same places over and over again
- Food that has meat in it
- The day after the after party
In case you have never been to a fancy reception but are going to one soon, here is some excellent advice:
- Wear a sheath dress (if you are a girl). Sheath dresses were made for receptions.
- Take your business cards but remember that it is not so much about handing yours out as it is about receiving cards from others and following up.
- Always follow up.
- Try to take one friend with you. If you don’t take a friend someone that also doesn’t know anyone will make you his/her only friend and it will only go downhill from there.
- Find out what organization/person it is that you are supporting/celebrating. This is very important and probably should be the number 1 thing on this list, even before the sheath dress thing.
- If you don’t get invited to the same reception again next year, you did it wrong.